“Billions” seems to be a common place number in modern man’s discourse – amount of government debt, amount of citizen debt, amount of wealth of the few super rich, number of those in poverty, number of the illiterate, number of stars in our galaxy, number of galaxies in the observable universe, age of the Earth, and the age of the known Universe.
The human population will hit 7 billion this year around the time our kids dress up to go trick or treating. How do we comprehend the number 7 billion? Well, if you were to start counting out loud right now, without sleeping, it would take you 200 years to reach 7 billion. But don’t waste your time — after counting day and night for 40 years the population will have gone up by another 2 billion.
There are sound arguments for or against the idea that overpopulation is a significant problem, but I maintain that our immense and growing population negatively impacts the quality of our existence and inhibits progress from one generation to the next. This is my introductory and light-hearted muse on our large and growing population and its impact on “The Human Direction”.
Top ten muses for your consideration:
2. Do you like searching for a parking space?
3. Do you like going to the mall?
4. Do you like going through security at the airport?
5. Do you like sitting on the airplane?
6. Do you like being stuffed into the subway?
7. Do you like waiting for the elevator?
8. Do you like suburban sprawl?
9. Do you like going to the beach?
10. Do you like going to a national park?